Learn How High Blood Pressure Changed One Women's Life


There are millions of women every year who suffer from heart disease. According to the American Heart Association heart disease is the number one killer for all Americans, and stroke is the  leading cause of death. This is something that has absolutely devastated the African American community and we must take control of it now! I had a chance to sit down and speak with one of my coaching clients Telisa King. Telisa is on a mission to change the lives of women, helping them to live healthier lives. Telisa shares her story on how her life changed after she found out she had high blood pressure.

Telisa King- ID Life Rep

What is your definition of health?
Telisa: I believe that being healthy is not just about being free of physical illness or disease. I believe to be completely healthy it requires 3 key elements. It includes physical, mental, and spiritual health, I believe when we connect the three that's when we are truly healthy and whole. Most of the time we only concentrate on the physical part of being healthy and while it is important we often fail to include the other two elements. Most women don't realize that when you begin to deal with your mental health that's when you will begin to see success in your physical health. Spiritual health is also just as important, including  prayer, meditation, purpose and peace. When we have a strong and high level of spiritual wellness we will experience an increase in every area of our life.

How has your health evolved over the years?
Telisa: Over the past few years I have changed my eating habits. The relationship I had with food was going to be the death of me. In November of 2015 I went to urgent care for an sinus infection, and the nurse took my vitals and my blood pressure was 221/102. The nurse started to freak out but I didn’t understand how serious it was. I didn't understand the numbers and it meant nothing to me. The doctor came in and took my blood pressure again, and they told me I was at risk for having a stroke. They gave me medication and monitored me for an hour. It was at that point I made the decision to take charge of my health. I started to change my eating habits and educate myself on the nutritional value of food. I learned how important it was to take nutritional supplements. This is something most people deem as optional or say it doesn’t matter which supplements you take. I totally disagree because any and everything you put in your body is important. I have learned how to identify when I am eating out of boredom or stress, and how to deal with mental stressors in the proper way. I have implemented daily cardio in my lifestyle and  I am much more active than I use to be. Most importantly I have learned to listen to my body and found a place of peace and purpose.


What Obstacles did you have to overcome to get to a healthy place in your life?
Telisa: One of my biggest obstacles was my eating habits. I stayed in the drive thru twice a day and drank between 6-8 24oz Pepsi's a day. It makes me cringe now when I think about it! I remember the times I would have huge snickers candy bars in the car, my purse, and on the night stand. I could also recall having the family size bag of Classic Frito Lays and I honestly thought I couldn’t live without this stuff. It was helping me cope. The other obstacle I faced was my limited mindset. I would normally eat my way through certain issues and didn’t even realize what I was doing. So I had to change my mindset and the behaviors around emotional eating. 


What advice would you give to a woman who wants to live a healthy life but don’t where to start? 

Telisa: First they need to know that there are no quick fixes, no miracle pills or juice. Give up dieting, you have to be committed to a lifestyle change, and be prepared for obstacles.

  • First start by getting a complete physical checkup, this way you know exactly what’s going on with your body, and by consulting with your doctor. Share with  him/her your goals so they can tell you what you need to focus on, or if you have any medical conditions that need to be addressed.
  • A healthy diet is vital, not just to lose or maintain weight, but to keep your body properly functioning.
  • It’s extremely important that you are take supplements. When you cook your food it may lose some it’s nutritional value and no matter how healthy you eat you are bound to miss something.
  • Start moving, you don’t have to join a gym to exercise. You can walk, dance, or run but find something to keep you moving.
  • Learn how to identify and properly deal with stress, anxiety, depression and insomnia. Don’t be ashamed to seek counseling if it’s too overwhelming. It’s perfectly healthy and it’s nobody’s business if this is what you need.
  • Seek spiritual guidance. Take the time to pray and mediate and seek to strengthen your relationship with God.
  • Take time for yourself. Self- care is an important part of staying healthy. Take time to get a massage, read a book, take a hot bath, or just get some much needed sleep.

What new health goals are you looking to accomplish in 2017? 

 Telisa: My goal is to continue reaching my target weight so that I will no longer be at risk for high blood pressure. I will continue to educate myself on how to eat and live a healthy lifestyle. I also plan to Explore more activities that I have never done before like, yoga, and pilates. I don’t want to grow alone so I will strive to be an example for woman. I want to reach, teach, and lead others to live a healthy lifestyle as well.



Contact Telisa King today to find out more about her products and how she changed her lifestyle with ID Life.





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's Why You Should Take A Mental Break

How to Stay Mentally and Physically Healthy In Spite of this World's Hatred and Violence

When You Change Your Mind, You Will Change Your Life!!! By Lakeisha Stringfellow